We know how important visitors are to our patients, and your emotional well-being is always our concern. However, there are times when visitors must be restricted so patients can get the rest they need. Ask family members and friends to call you before visiting to be sure you feel up to it. Of course, no one with a cold or other communicable illness should come to the hospital. Please ask your visitors to abide by the hours posted. These vary according to the unit on which you are staying.
You have the right not to see a particular visitor, or to request that you have no visitors. Please inform the nursing staff caring for you of your decision.
Similarly, if you wish your admission to be kept private please discuss this with the Nurse so that the switchboard is informed.
Visitors to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Delivery Suite and Critical Care Unit are subject to special requirements. All visitors to these areas must check first at the Nurses Station.
In the Delivery Suite, only 2 support people are allowed to be with the patient at a time. Other family members are welcome to wait in the Waiting Room and if any of them would like to relieve the 2 support people they may do so.
- Visiting hours for all inpatient units except the Critical Care and Paediatric Units is between 11:00 AM and 8:00 PM and/or at the discretion of the Unit’s Charge Nurse. Visiting Hours in the Paediatric Unit is 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM and CCU is 11:00am – 2:00pm and 4:00pm -8:00pm
- Visitors are limited to two persons at a time per patient. Visiting in the Critical Care Unit and Accident & Emergency is restricted to 1-2 persons at a time for 15 minutes, unless the Unit’s Charge Nurse grants special permission.
- When critical treatments/procedures are being performed in CCU and A & E or for patients in double rooms all visitors will be asked to leave for the required period of time.
- Well children under 12 are welcome to visit for a short period if they are supervised closely by an adult at all times. Children are allowed in CCU or A&E only under exceptional circumstances.
- One parent/adult over the age of 18 is permitted to remain overnight with their child in the Paediatric Unit.
- One person only is permitted in the Labour Room in the Maternity Unit.
- One family member is allowed to remain overnight with an elderly or very ill patient if permission is obtained from the Unit’s Charge Nurse who must notify the Nursing Supervisor and the Security Officer on duty.
- Information on visiting hours must be provided to the patient and next of kin on admission by the Admitting Nurse.
Incoming calls are put through to patient rooms from the telephone operator. The hospital also has an automated telephone system that lets a caller dial directly into your room.