Getting older often presents challenges, and as we age sometimes a little help is needed to maintain our independence. The Health Services Authority (HSA) is educating residents and health care professionals on occupational therapy, also known as OT for adults. The HSA believes it can offer many practical solutions to the everyday problems of life for the injured, disabled, or the elderly, among others.This is an emerging profession that up until very recently, when I started in July, it really wasnt well known in the hospital environment, said HSA Occupational Therapist Kiri Archer.She told Cayman 27 occupational therapy has a vast range of applications.Theres a massive list of things it can help with. People with mental health issues, people with learning disabilities, children with all range of functional disabilities or difficulties, said Ms. Archer.Wednesday morning (28 January), she explained how occupational therapy can help adults cope with the physical, environmental, social, and psychological challenges that threaten independence for aging adults.It can help people with long term conditions like diabetes, heart disease, lung problems. Anybody that cant participate in their life as fully as they want to and complete the activities they need to do on a day to day basis, thats why were here thats what we can help with, said Ms. Archer.For elderly adults, Ms. Archer maintains an Occupational Therapist can help reduce risks around the home that contribute to slips, trips, and falls. Ultimately, she said its about preserving ones independence.As occupational therapists, were the people that when all else fails, they come to an occupational therapist because like I say, we dont look at one strength or one weakness. We look at that person as a whole and how we can help that person achieve the things they want to achieve in life, she said.She told Cayman 27 occupational therapy can provide that little extra help so OT clients can live life to their fullest potential.If you or someone you know may benefit from occupational therapy, the HSA encourages you to talk to your general practitioner. You can also get in touch with Ms. Archer at the HSA at 244-2730 or send her an email at